The TAI/AgustaWestland T129 is an attack helicopter based on the Agusta A129 Mangusta. The T129 was developed by Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI), with AgustaWestland as the primary partner. The helicopter is designed for hot and high environments.
The ATAK programme was begun to meet the Turkish Armed Forces’ requirements for an attack and tactical reconnaissance helicopter. The T129 is the result of the integration of Turkish developed high-tech avionics and weapon systems onto the combat proven AgustaWestland A129 airframe, with upgraded engines, transmission and rotor blades. It is in use by the Turkish Army, and is being offered to other air forces.
- Crew: 2: pilot and co-pilot/gunner
- Length: 13.45 m (44 ft 1 in)
- Rotor diameter: 11.90 m (39 ft 0 in)
- Height: 3.4 m (11 ft 2 in)
- Disc area: 111.22 m² (1,197.25 ft²)
- Empty weight: 2,350 kg
- Max. takeoff weight: 5,000 kg (11,023 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × LHTEC CTS800-4A turboshaft, 1,014 kW (1,361 shp) each
- Rotor systems: 5 blades on main rotor
- Maximum speed: 278 km/h (151 knots, 174 mph)
- Cruise speed: 269 km/h (145 knots, 167 mph)
- Range: 561 km (303 nmi, 341 mi)
- Ferry range: 1,000 km (540 nmi, 620 mi)
- Service ceiling: 6,096 m (20,000 ft)
- Rate of climb: 14.0 m/s (2,750 ft/min)
- Guns: 1× 20 mm (0.787 in) three-barrel gatling-type cannon (500 rounds)
- Rockets: 4 pods with
- 38× 81 mm (3.19 in) unguided rockets or
- 76× 70 mm (2.75 in) unguided rockets or
- 12.7 mm (0.50 in) machine gun pod
- 8× AGM-114 Hellfire, BGM-71 TOW, Hydra 70, Spike-ER, UMTAS, OMTAS, anti-tank and anti-armor missiles and Sura D/Snora.
- 12x Roketsan Cirit
- 2× AIM-92 Stinger or Mistral or AIM-9 Sidewinder anti-aircraft missiles
The Turkish Army formally inducted the first nine T129s into service in May 2014. The helicopters are EDH version, a less advanced interim variant to replace some AH-1 helicopters before the T129B variant enters service.